Wednesday, August 23, 2006

"Honey, take the phone - you have a call"

Almost forgot. I walked in the house Monday after picking my husband from the train station and the phone rang while I was still in the doorway. Expecting it to be one of the kid's friends, I thought he was teasing when he handed me the phone and told me I had a call.

"Who is this?", I asked.

"Oh, hi, Evelyn, this is {female former boss)" Just like that and without letting me get in a word, "So sorry we had to let you go."

"Uh, Ok, is there something you need from me?" I mumbled as my life flashed before me - I was stunned that my husband hadn't had the good sense to say I wasn't THERE.

"Well, you remember those tools you asked me to order? Do you still want them?" My husband had found some little handtools being sold on Ebay, and we had asked her if she could locate some, that the company could make a nice deal selling them because there were no American sources for them and all the hobby people were trying to get their hands on them to resell.

I told her "Let me ask my husband...." and handed him the phone. And heard him walk over to the base - and hang it up. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. And whether to call back and apologize, just in case I ever need a reference from them....

"No one talks to my wife like that" was the answer.

Good guy, that fella.

No comments: