Monday, August 28, 2006

Buy a Mercedes and build your own Portable Pump?


From the August 1959 issue of Science and Mechanics.

My parents bought a used 1957 Mercedes back around 1964. Painted the same shade as municipal trucks in town, we kids immediately dubbed it "The Garbage Truck", and the name stuck. The car was cheap because it had a bad handbrake, and the previous owner had parked it uphill from a chainlink fence. By the time my parents owned it, the bumper had been bumped, and the infamous Mercedes grill had a nice fence-post-sized hole. But it was a cool car, with folding down rear seats and seat belts at a time no American car had either.

We used to lock my brother in the truck by folding up the rear seat. My mother got used to calling him to dinner from the faint screams of "Mommy?" from the trunk. And my sister and I got a good whopping with the wooden spoon, even as we secretly laughed at what we had done to the annoying little brother.

It's a wonder he speaks to either of us!

No comments: